Thursday, August 19, 2010

This is Lady X, ova'

Where do I even start?

I flew out to Boston beginning of June to live with Steph and her family for ten weeks. Steph was the one who helped me get a job working at the same summer camp she's been working at for the past couple years. I arrived in Mass 2 days before work started, and left the morning after it ended.

A week into training I found out I was assigned to work with 5-6th graders as one of four Earthkeeper counselors. Instead of spending every other day on the farm yard like most other groups, Earthkeepers get to learn about Native Americans and how to use the earth for their survival. Wow, talk about not qualified? Once a session, Earthkeepers also get to do an overnight camp-out. So for three 2-week sessions I helped 11 year olds saw down small trees to make a NA longhouse, build campfires, then use coals from the fire to burn out bowls, weave grass mats, make leather pouches and moccasins, practice stalking, and lots of running games. On the overnights we let the campers set up their own tents, cook burritos over the campfire, s'mores for dessert, a guitar sing-along as it turned dark, and a crazy scary solo night hike right before bed. I have lots of poop stories, better told in person.

The last session of camp for the summer, is only a week long, and focuses all on the farm. So all of the earthkeeper counselors were reassigned to different camp groups for the last week. I was with the Tickle Turkeys -half day, pre-k. I had 15 in the morning, 20 minute lunch break, then 15 for the afternoon. Wow, what a change of pace! The campers were absolutely adorable, but struggled with things like trying to carry their backpacks, crying when mama left, never getting to be line leader, and crazy small bladders.

Work was from 8-4 Monday-Friday (not including overnights). When not at work Steph and I had fun swimming across a local pond, playing basketball, sewing skirts, looking out for the tooth fairy on warm summer nights, hiking a mountain, walking ALL over Boston stalking Paul Revere and natives, acting like cows, and watching for whales.

But now I'm home, and getting ready to head back to Provo next week. I'm already having day dreams about snowboarding =]

<3Susie

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, Last post Aug 19,2010!!! C'mon Susie. Lets kick up a little dust huh?

    ReplyDelete